Who We Are
ClimateFast is volunteer-based non-profit organization dedicated to building strong, informed public pressure to take urgent, substantial and just action on climate change.
What We Do
Climatefast believes we need to act on climate fast. We are in a crisis and need coordinated action for deep cuts in carbon emissions.
We must end fossil fuel subsidies, put a price on carbon and transition towards renewable energy.
Through education and civic engagement we work to ensure that the representatives we citizens elect, at all levels of government, take action on climate change. We write letters and meet with elected officials at all levels of government to advocate for action.
We also engage Canadians through public education events such as our film series, workshops and webcasts, and provide training on making a deputation, writing letters to the editor, speaking with elected representatives and facilitating Kitchen Table Climate Conversations.
Over the past few years ClimateFast has achieved many successes, e.g.
- mobilized Team Climate 2021 to put the climate crisis at the top of 2021 federal election campaigns
- helped mobilize climate action groups and individuals to call on City Council to endorse the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty (FFNPT). City Council endorsed the Treaty on June 14, 2021.
- established Letter-Writing Bees in March 2021
- held trainings in talking and writing to city councillors and in deputing at city council budget meetings, including one prior to the 2021 City of Toronto budget hearings.
- established Kitchen Table Climate Conversations in September 2020, and
- developed, with DrawdownTO, the People’s Climate Action Plan for Ontario. It was endorsed by the Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment (CAPE), Just Earth, Green Neighbours 21, Greenspiration, and Pax Christi,
- managed a successful campaign: Voices for Ontarians on Climate Accountability and Leadership (VOCAL) in 2018,
- held a successful run of 22 film screenings on the climate (Toronto Climate Film Festival) over two years. The 2nd year (fall 2017) the screenings were held in 4 areas of the city to assist in outreach into more wards. The model developed by ClimateFast has been adopted by other groups,.