I am very concerned about the impact the climate crisis will have on our children's future and the world we live in. It is time for Canada to take decisive, positive action for a peaceful and sustainable future.
I urge the Canadian government to undertake the following steps:
- Establish a new science-based emission reduction target consistent with a 1.5° C temperature rise.
- A clear and measurable plan for a just transition to 100% renewable energy by 2050.
- An end to subsidies for fossil fuel industries and investments in a green economy.
- A carbon fee set at $30 per tonne and a commitment to increase it over time.
- A new, permanent regulatory approval process for assessing energy projects to replace the flawed National Energy Board process. It must account for the upstream and downstream carbon emissions and respect Indigenous peoples’ treaty rights to consultation.
- A $4 billion annual contribution to climate adaptation and mitigation measures in the Global South.